Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Doubt?

I always say that there is nothing like getting close to a race to make you doubt everything you think you know about your conditioning. 

So I completed a 20 mile training run this past Saturday, and overall it was what I was looking for at this point.  A little warmer out than I would have liked, but it is what it is.  Sunday and Monday go by and I'm still feeling pretty good about the run and my body fared pretty well with no aches and pains.  Until Tuesday...  For some reason I'm feeling like I've got a tweaked nerve or something in my right leg (typically my problem leg when I do have problems...).  It could be ITB syndrome again, but kinda weird as I had felt any issues there during my training runs in the past.  Doesn't seem right that it would just crop up 3 days later.  I did get a good bike training in on Sunday and 6.5 mile tempo run on Monday, so maybe that did it?  I dunno, but I toned it down to 3.2 miles yesterday and think I'm resting completely today.  Sitting here with an ice bag on my leg now for good measure.

Anyhow, this whole thing is affecting my mental state and putting doubts in my head about completing my training prior to the marathon 10/15....like, what if I get out there for my next long run of 22+ and end up hurting it worse, etc.   I know better than to give in to such foolish mortal-like thoughts, yet, it still sits in my mind.  Of course, that's all part of it right?  dealing with the insanity that is our own minds....  No worries though, I'm still going to push and complete my training.  If I end up with some pain after the last long run, then I'll just have to suck it up and deal with it.  No way I give up on my goals for October, come too far and worked too hard....

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Ah, how the mind can play tricks with you and make you question everything you've done...don't I know that feeling all to well.

I know that you know how to deal with this mental game better than I do. I know that you'll get past this and do exactly what you want to do come race day.

As far as pain...You're doing what you need to do - listen to your body and baby it when it needs it. Now is the time to take the rest and feel better - you do not want to be one week out from the race and feeling this pain!

You're going to do great. Just do your training, trust your training and go out there and kick it on race day. You know the drill and you will succeed!!!!!!

Rae! said...

My 2 Cents:
I would make sure it is not the IT band, and work on strengthening the band.
Otherwise I agree with Amanda!

Jeff W said...

Hey pal. Listen to your body but don't let it stop you from testing things out on a short run. Your body will continue to speak to you but you can't hear it if you don't get out there.

Nothing new in that advice as I'm sure you already have a plan in motion.

As for the ice bag I have found that a frozen bag of corn nibblets is more conforming to the leg.

Matt said...

Hey buddy! If anybody can do this, I know you certainly will! Just listen to your body and take it from there. You will be fine.