So, I was perusing my Disney Marathon results from 2012 for some unknown reason…. I think I told the story of how I was boarding along the line of asthma attack the night prior…yada yada…woe is me… Anyhow, the point is around the results and when I checked them after the race, they were all funkified. My finish time was correct, but I was more interested in the splits as I wasn’t sure as to what they were. Anyhow, checking them now and they seem to have been corrected. Given the whole breathing thing I actually impressed myself…for the first 13 miles anyhow…
5 mile split – 39:20
10 mile split – 1:18:22
Half split – 1:43:54 (my Half Marathon PR 1:48:50)
20 mile split – 2:47:04
Finish – 3:53:36
Fell way off at the end there due to a number of things, probably things well within my control (pre-race nutrition, hydration, fueling duing, etc.). Was I dissapointed though? Not at all. I really was having major lung issues and honestly wasn’t sure if I was going to be able to run or finish the race prior to the start. Not to get all religious, but I said many the prayer for the ability to run and finish the race, and it wasn’t looking good until I actually started to run. Probably the closest thing to a miracle that I’ve had.
So what did I take out of all of this. First, nothing like training for a marathon to make a half marathon seem like a fun run… Second, I should be able to run a sub 1:40 half marathon this fall when I run it in Hartford. Third, I really need to watch my marathon week prep and also concentrate on the fueling strategy. While this wasn’t a PR for me, it was a darn miracle that I finished let alone put in sub-4hrs. It’s true, the races are really decided during your training and not so much on race day.
2 comments:
Well still good numbers. Learn from it and move forward. =)
Yep, you did amazing. I remember standing there all of us once again wondering how we were going to finish and look at you sub 4hr...You rocked it!
Let's hope for an injury/illness free marathon for January!
Post a Comment