Monday, December 21, 2009

11 Miles and 8 inches

In a last minute decision to get outside for a run last Saturday I ended up going a whole heck of a lot further than planned and just in time as the snow began to fall not too long after. I tell ya, after looking at my weather station reading 22 degrees outside I nearly headed down to the basement for a treadmill run. However, I've got all the winter running gear so I figured why not give it a go. The plan was to start off extremely slow to let my lungs acclimate (couldn't run in cold last year, got lung freeze every darn time) and then figure out how long I wanted to go....maybe 5 or 6 miles.... Well, the first mile felt so good that I decided to do my long loop and nearly decided to run the 13.1 mile loop....the only thing that stopped me from extending the run was the thought that my wife would send out a search part since I didn't say I'd be out that long.

I wasn't fast, but I wasn't slow, just right for this one as I intended it to be. Averaged right at 9min miles which is ahead of my normal pace due to the hills and such. I would have easily finished the 13.1 under 2hrs, very comfortably mind you as I didn't feel like I pushed it at all during the run. Again, this is more proof that the strength training is paying off as I guaged the run based on my breathing rate and not speed. Kept the breathing rate slow as I normally do for a longer training run.

The funny thing is that the more my training takes shape, the closer to easily achieving my goal, I'm more and more nervous about it. It's like I'm waiting for something bad to happen...weird... Anyhoo, time permitting, I may actually get a 13.1 in prior to the new year and then shut it down. I won't be upset if I don't as I know I'm ready, but still would like to...it's so peaceful out there...hardly any runners, walkers, kids playing, etc.... Just you and the road (and the cold).

Oh yeah, and the snow did fall right after the run to the tune of 8 inches locally, more like a foot down the shoreline. Crazy nor'easter apparently... No more need to dream of a White Christmas, it's already here and will surely stick around for the week. :-)

5 comments:

Justin said...

Go ahead and run long enough that your wife worries about you being dead. It's great fun.

My wife actually came out looking for me on the Wabash this summer during one of my 25+ mile runs. Awkward! Then again, I didn't know she still cared.

Amanda said...

You have nothing to be nervous about. You're putting in the work and it's paying off big time! You are going to PR in style! Can't wait to see just how great you do.

Stay safe!

DebWDW said...

You are amazing! But stay indoors until it's time to go -- don't want you slipping on the ice and hurting yourself!

Jeff W said...

What is it about us men and inches? Let's compare.. You've got 8 and back on the 9th the tundra saw 16"

See you soon pal!

MikeF. said...

So like how have you been. See you in less than 2 weeks. And how does it feel to know your team will be in the playoffs. It's been 10 years so I kind of forgot what it was like.