Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Just call me Ice Man....

and over there is Maverick and Goose....

Seriously though, I have been holding off on my last long run due to housely duties and had it on the schedule for today. Couldn't have done it the other day when it was 34 and sunny...NOoooooo, I had to wait till today. 18 degrees when I left with winds gusting to 40mph. Yeah, fun stuff. Needless to say I went back and forth on this one and nearly attempted it on the treadmill. I have no idea how Justin and his wife can do that many miles on a treadmill, I get to 6 or 7 and want to shoot myself! Anyhoo, I decided that it couldn't be that bad out there as long as I bundled up.... That worked for about 8 miles. Everything was freezing up on my, stomach (or "insulation" as I call it..), contacts, and eventually hands and arms. Was lovely when I'd turn and get the wind at my back, but of course, I knew it was going to be a bear when I returned that same road on the way back....and it was....at times my legs would get blown into the other one while striding, nearly knocked me over. Add insult to injury (or the other way around), my left knee tendon started to act up again making for a pretty painful final couple of miles. Was more numb than pain, until I got home and thawed out (literally....started to shake about 20 minutes after entering the door).

Sooo, no fallen power lines or branches on my head (bonus!) and I'm icing the heck out of my knee area right now while watching UP (on blu-ray, got Monsters Inc. and UP blu-ray packs for 30 shipped...had to have 'em even thought I already own the regular DVD). I'm sure this knee thing will wake me up tonight, but it should clear by end of day tomorrow.

End result of the run was 13.1 miles at 2hrs flat. Not bad considering I walked the last .45 miles as I wanted to let up on the knee. Also not bad considering I had a constant head wind for 3/4 of a mile in there as well... Hey, I'm ready for this Disney half, no worries at all, but will be going for some physical therapy on the knee post race. Gotta start right away on the training for the 2011 Goof and don't want this knee thing to hold me back.

Wow, long post, sorry folks but had to share my frozen adventure with ya. It was fun to watch drivers shaking their head in disbelief that I was out there running, let alone a half marathon distance. LOL

Mike-speed, if don't converse prior to you leaving next week, have a safe trip (don't go Mike-speed till you get there ;-)) and a great B-day! We'll see ya when we get down there (flying in Thursday...I'm practicing not going to the bathroom for an hour in preparation..ya know....cause that will keep us all safe....wet...but safe....LOL)

4 comments:

Justin said...

I'm ready to shoot myself after 3 miles, but there aren't many options here in the Hoth System. The treadmill is the only game in town for now.

So, Goof 2011 is a sure thing huh? Welcome aboard!

Amanda said...

Awesome job - that's amazing running with the cold and wind. Double whammy for sure!

Get that knee feeling better so you can enjoy the race - you're more than ready for it once the knee feels better!

Goofy in 2011 - see, I really want to do that next year, but not sure if I can since I've never done a full marathon...I know I have 50 weeks after recovery to train, but is it enough? I'm seriously tempted.

MikeF. said...

Nice job on the miles Chris. Take it easy on that knee. I want all you got for this race. I demand a sub 1:50 out of you.

I for some reason this year have been having problems with my neck when I run. It keeps tightening up on me. I changed my running form to stop this last year and it worked great. Now it does it no matter what.

Jeff W said...

And the 2009 frozen duck beak award goes to...

You're a braver man than I. Nicely done.