Wednesday, August 4, 2010

5k Championship....

That's right folks, I'm going to run in the national 5k championship race, not because it's easy, but because it is hard.... anyone, anyone...Kennedy reference? no? Oh, fine... Anyhoo, yes, I'm going to Providence in September to run the CVS/Caremark 5k which happens to be the National 5k Championship race (or some I'm told). It's a "Team insert major pharmaceutical company that I work for here.." running event and I thought it would be a good way to get me motivated for speed work. The run is September 19th I think, so I've got a little time to get my run on, and try for a PR. Says the course is flat and fast, but so don't they all (except for the Colchester Half Marathon, but don't get me back on that one..). Best 5k time for me is 24:17, but I do think I could do better with a little work. So stay tuned on the training front, but I'm already starting to get some speed back based on the miles I've been putting in.

I'm still debating as to whether I'm going to participate in the company sprint triathalon. I've been swimming more lately, but it's in a couple of weeks and I'm not sure if I'd be ready. As it is, I found out today that work is going to severly interfere with my running schedule over the next couple of weeks, but won't bore you with the detail. I'm just ticked off, annoyed, anxious, etc. all in one at this point, but know I'll get through it.

Hope everyone is doing well, haven't seen much on the blogs in the past couple of days....c'mon people, I'm checking daily now and want to know how y'all are doing!!!!! Jonathan and his buddy Amanda are the exception, they entertain me daily. ;-)

3 comments:

Justin said...

I still think your company should test a certain pharmaceutical product on your team to evaluate its effectiveness as a racing supplement.

Rae! said...

Try the tri. You will like it. =)
Company 5k cool. When doesn't work interfere with things we love to do??
I just got done with a three in a row 12hr. shifts and I am beat.

Well, any case... you will do great!!
BTW you are the only one who has told me your challenge miles. =)

Amanda said...

Me entertaining - ha, that's silly!

I hear you on the work front. Just when I thought things were settling down and going well I was thrown a major curve ball that brought all the stress right back out and up front. Try to keep your sanity as best as you can.

The 5K sounds awesome. I still love to run a 5K - it's long enough to build a sweat, but short enough to not take up the whole day :)!