Monday, December 13, 2010

36 on 13....

Just a reference for the age change today. So yeah, it's my b-day and all, but I had an interesting take on it today at work. I thought about where I was 10 years ago as compared to where I am today. Some people might trade anything to be 26 again, but I took a long hard look at it (in the 5 minute break I took during another fun all day meeting with a vendor) and I tell ya, I'm doing things now that I just couldn't do back at 26. Also, I remembered who I was at 26 and to tell you the truth, I didn't really like that guy all that much! Okay, I wasn't evil or anything, but I was complacent, a bit arrogant at times, probably not all great of a true partner to Lorraine (but don't get her going on that!), and a number of other things that I probably have forgotten. Oh yeah, I was getting fat as well....way too many cruises and dining out!

So what's this all about.... Well, I just like the person I've become way more than who I was and wouldn't trade the hair on my head (I had alot back then..) to have the "youth" back. I tell ya one thing, I couldn't have run a half mile back then, let alone 20 or more. I've stuck with this far longer than I would have back in the day. I also learned that success in your job is simply meaningless if you don't do it through hard work, treating people the right way, and putting you family first (even if it means you don't advance your career as a result). I've learned what true "fear" is, through having children and worrying about their safety, etc. on a daily basis. I dunno, maybe it's a sort of selflessness that comes with age or something, who knows. Hey, I didn't really even like Disney all that much at 26, is there anything more to say about 26 year old Chris versus 36 year old Chris? LOL

Sorry for the sentimental post, just figured I'd share how the day went and my thoughts on getting older.

Still recovering from the 20 miler on Saturday, but probably 85% now. Got 2 miles in wog fashion last night and a good even paced 3 miler this evening. Will probably do cross training the next couple of days to help recovery. Haven't recorded my mileage lately, but thing I'm over 50 running on the month and 20ish cross training.

3 comments:

MikeF. said...

Happy B-day buddy!

Justin said...

Happy Birthday Old Man.

Gosh, when I'm your age someday (July) I think I'm going to hang it up and call it quits. What's the point at 36 anyway?

Amanda said...

Happy belated birthday!!!!

Isn't it great that as you've grown up you like who you've become? So many people do just the opposite and slow down as they get older, but you're just getting started!!!