Thursday, July 3, 2008

Happy 4th Y'all!


Or as Yakko Smirnoff (or is it Smirnov? Isn't he the vodka guys? ;-)) used to say "America, what a country". Only one thought that I picked up from a talk show yesterday. The host simply asked the audience to remember what the 4th really stood for. It was really the first time in history that a truly free nation was born. Others were sort of getting there, but not quite what the Declaration of Independance had done. Governement of representatives carrying the will of all its people. Something we look at now as a given, right? Like DUH! LOL But honestly, it was a stretch back in the day and we really should be thankful for those who stood up for something unheard of and signed their names to it.


Took two days off to give the ol' legs a rest and got back to it this morning. Ran 5.05 total with the warmup run. Still a little shin pain, but nothing that is bothering me all that much.


Liner should be going into the pool later on today and it's quite possible that we'll be able to swim in it by Saturday...fingers crossed.. Of course there is still much landscaping and decking work to be done, but not as big of a deal if we can start using it! Deb, I'll post some pictures this weekend, thanks for the reminder. Great at taking the pictures...but I'm completely lazy when it comes to actually downloading them onto the computer!

6 comments:

mgreene said...

Chris,
I've known several beginning runners who had shin pain caused by less than optimal running shoes. Do you have some good ones? You have made remarkable progress since the first of the year - I'd think a 1:50 1/2 marathon would be within your grasp by January.

mgreene said...

Actually, maybe a 1:45 half or better.

Rae! said...

Happy 4Th!!!! Be safe!!! Keep up the great work!!!

[rich] said...

:-) great one, have a good time on the 4th

Chris said...

Thanks all for the comments, honestly, without them I'd probably slack off on the training front!

Mr Greene, where the shoes are concerned I was using off the shelf for the first couple of months of training, but was proffesionally fitted back in May (I think it was). Cleared up some of the other foot issues I was having for sure. However, I was wondering that myself...I might take a trip back to the shop to see what they think. Haven't had to ice down the legs in over a week, so my thought that it was due to the extra mileage I put on for June and getting used to it. Anyhoo, appreciate the kind words and advice!

Heath said...

Happy Independence Day to you too Chris!! Let's hope the pool is done in time for a nice family skate during the Christmas holiday :0)