It's been 18 months since I made the decision to start running in order to train for the 2009 Disney Half Marathon. First, it feels like it's been much longer... Second, I wanted to see where I started all the way to where I am now.
Feb 2008 - total of 19.18 miles for the 2nd half of the month. Average mile around 12 minutes per. March was more of the same, but was able to run a full 5 miles (11:45/mi) on the mill.
June 2008 - 100.18 miles, ran first half marathon at ~8:55 pace
August 2008 - Only 50 miles, but running comfortably in the 8:15/8:30 mile range
October 2008 - Ran 2nd half marathon of year (ING Hartford) under 2hr again
January 2009 - Disney half marathon, the 3rd 1:56:xx half marathon in 7 months
Feb/June 2009 - Lost months due to injury and surgery
August-September - 2 100+ mile months
October 2009 - 1st Full Marathon completed.
Not bad for a kid with asthma who had never run more than a mile (in one session) prior to Feb 2008. So, who cares, right? Well, I just had to put some of this on paper after I was getting down on myself about the full marathon time.... Like a "Look stupid, see what you have accomplished in a short timeframe" kind of thing to myself.
The one thing I can honestly say..... I'm a runner.... I wasn't convinced of it till now. :-)
Next steps - Well, I'm going to start a more rigorous strength training program (operation "hit the gym") and nutrition program (with some help from a trainner from my MBA program). Lean and strong in order to finally break my streak of 1:56:xx half marathon times this coming January. Or as I like to say "I've got a date with some roasted duck".... The goal being sub 1:50:xx (in the vicinity of Mike-Speed (Mike made me remove the "Bryan" from this speed option under threat of legal action...Of course he's bitter...must be those long cold winters up there in Buffalo wing land....)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
NO NO NO there is no "Bryan-Speed". Just "Mike-Speed". Often imitated, but never copied!
It is always good to look back and see how far you have come. To get that little extra motivation.
Chris you are doing great! Keep it up! I expect a sub. 1:50:xx time for the '10 WDW Half.
That's awesome. I like your re-cap...It's great to remind yourself where you've been and where you are now.
Wow, what a fantastic year! And I loved reading about your marathon. My knee gave me problems in the last three miles of the Half in January, so I know EXACTLY what you mean about finishing, but knowing that you weren't at your best. I bet your next full will be fabulous!
Post a Comment