Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Is it okay to just "maintain"?

That's what I'm asking myself this month where my running is concerned. It could just be a knee jerk reaction to not being able to run all that much with the foot issue or the insanity brought on by the winter (and cold lung syndrome...), but I've been pondering this. Should I just do this year what I did last year in order to maintain my running pace or try and commit more time to it in an effort to reduce my pace. I feel it's a legitimate question as I'm actually happy at the moment with a high 8 minute pace and running sub 2hr 13.1 mile runs. Right?

The real question here is the time to commit to training. In order to reduce that overall time I need to spend more time out running as well as adding in serious cross-training. Between the work and home schedule last year I eek'd all I could out of it to just get in 3-5 runs a week. When the heck am I going to do the other stuff! And that's the problem I'm having as I don't like the word "maintain" or "sustain"....it feels alot like "settling" or "giving up"....

Perhaps I'm just thinking about this too much due to the reasons above and need to get back on my running schedule before figuring out when I'm going to squeak in the other stuff. I'm sticking to my goal of running the Hartford marathon in under 4hrs as I think I can do that without too much more speed tranining. As for other speed goals, I'm going leave them alone for now and wait till my head is a little bit clearer before setting them. Focus right now needs to be on my job, family, and school as there are major transistions happening in all three at the moment.

What do you guys think? Being hard on myself? Not hard enough?

4 comments:

Rae! said...

You do what works for you. And only you, can tell us what that is.

And then on the other hand, How bad do you want it??

MikeF. said...

Wow Rae said what I was going to say. You know 8 min. miles are considered fast. My Doc. has told me that after my surgery that it might be a good Idea to slow down to a 10-11min. mile pace.

DebWDW said...

I think it's very reasonable to maintain -- and I don't think that's a bad word. Maintaing a exercise routine, a weight, a running speed -- that all takes determination too. I think you should feel good about maintaining, knowing that in the future when you want to focus on something new, you'll be at a good starting point.
(FYI, I will be at WDW Nov 15-21. Let me know your dates.)

Steph said...

I think it sounds like you're doing great! I don't know how you could possibly do more with work, family, and school. Give yourself a break and just maintain the status quo for now and do more when you can. Good luck!