Took my 5 mile run yesteday at the end of the workday, and what a great run it was! Two and half mile route that runs along the Thames River and Long Island Sound. Particularly of note is the "Ledge Light" lighthouse. Took this picture a few years back when I docked a boat down in this area. The lighthouse is clearly visible on the run, and on a clear day you can see a good amount of detail of Fisher's Island (in the backdrop), part of Long Island. The weather was gorgeous, and I ran 10 minute's per mile with ease (for the first time!). This run is going to be a frequent one I have a feeling. :-) Not to mention that there are counter service restaurants along the route, ahh, the smell of fresh seafood (and deep fried at that). Can't exactly stop in and eat, but the smell is a nice treat along the way.
Here's some more information about the Ledge Light (and Ernie the ghost that keeps it!):
This one-of-a-kind building was one of the last lighthouses built in New England, and it represents a rare case of an early 20th century offshore lighthouse that is not of cast-iron construction. The stately red brick building with its mansard roof and granite detailing makes a striking picture standing off by itself near the entrance to Connecticut's New London Harbor, at the extreme eastern end of Long Island Sound (http://lighthouse.cc/newlondonledge/history.html)
Tomorrow: Boston Light (of which I've had a unique experience at...)
PS - Rae, going to take your advice and get to a run shoe specialist! Feet didn't feel right after the run. The good news being that the rest of me felt great! Getting the shoes taken care of and I'll be all set.
4 comments:
Wow, 10 miles! That's fab!! And how cool to be able to run near water.
I agree with Deb. I wish I had somewhere pretty to run. Great JOB!!!
P.S. That's a cool looking lighthouse.
Okay, I think I messed up somewhere, Deb. It's only 5 miles roundtrip on this route! Looking to get a 10miler in soon though! I'll check what I wrote and correct it!
Good job on the 5 miler. great photo.
Shoes are a runners best friend.
Post a Comment