Sunday, June 22, 2008

Can You Digg It.......



Despite the one no vote on my poll as to whether I should run a half-marathon today or not....I did it. They said it was a very fast course, so I'm thinkin' "piece of cake" right? Yeah, not so much. Rolling hills is more like it! I tell ya, the downslopes are almost as difficult as the upslopes. Didn't really hit the wall per se, but about a half mile to the finish there is this monster hill, elevates 100 feet pretty rapidly and slowly decends on the backside. Legs were pretty tired at this point since it was already the logest run I've ever taken on (10.3 last weekend held the record for a week). But I did it!! WooHoo! Picked up some body glide (thanks Mike) prior to the race to ensure my shirt would stay blood dot free, and it worked like a charm. Also ran a half mile warm up which also worked out very well. Thanks for all of the nice notes and well wishes while I was debating this, it helped put me over the top on the "yes" decision for sure. Also, thought about the group during the race which helped keep me on pace and not slip on my times.
Overall, good race with some areas for improvement, but I did what I set out to do Keep Pace! Actually, I was alot faster than I thought I'd be averaging around 8:55/mile, but thought it would be more like 9:15/9:30ish. End result: 1hr 56min 41sec - 9th out of 18 in 30-39; 56 overall..small field...(http://www.greystoneracing.net/pages/Race%20Results%202008/Compounce%20Half%206.22.08.txt) Not too shabby for my first half! Not Mike-Speed either, but still not too shabby ;-) You still da man, Mike!
Soooo, 13.1 plus .5 (5.5mph) warmup gives me 13.6 for the day....Which drove the whole "Can you dig it......." theme! ;-) Ball is in your court J-man, what you got!?!?

7 comments:

[rich] said...

Great time :-) Not sure what my half is as I always run with someone. Glad you did so well...Smack down!

Jeff W said...

Can I borrow a line from Rae?

HOLY CATS!

Bravo Chris!

Rae! said...

You can say that again Jeff!
Great job! So you can scale the monster hill then the overpass will be a piece of cake!
Man I may have to do one too!

MikeF. said...

Chris awesome job on the half. Make sure you tell Disney your time. I need a running buddy. Since we are both Competitive bastards :) we can push each other during the race. Again congrats.

Rae! said...

Awesome job on the half!!!!!! Gonna wait on the rest of us at the finish line????

DebWDW said...

Oooh.. you and Mike-Speed running together?! You might end up challenging the professionals!!

Heath said...

Sorry I've been MIA Chris, but what a great job you did in the half!!! Your progress has been amazing!!