Monday, June 23, 2008

Mid Year Goals - Review Time!



It's review time folks! Time to dust off those goals set at the beginning of the year and measure your progress thus far. Are you ahead or behind schedule? Did you add new goals or get rid of any? Did you even set goals, aside from "run 13.1 miles in January at Disney…".?
Here were goals I set in February when I decided to take up the sport of running.



1) To actually START running! I'd never run more than a mile in my life, so to actually get it in gear, set goals, and begin a program was a huge accomplishment for me. I'd participated in sports throughout my life, and running was always a part of it, but I think most of you would agree that distance running is a completely different animal. Update: I started running the same day I shelled out $100 for the Disney Half-Marathon. Amazing how money can be a great motivator!
2) Set Monthly and Quarterly targets Review: Hit my targets, for the most part, every month with the exception of the long run in May (Didn't get a 10 mile run in till early June). Race-wise, ran in four 5k races and completed a half-marathon which wasn't in my goals till October! Pretty darn proud of that one. :-) Time-wise, I've been running more in the 8:50-9:15 range (goal was for 9:30min/mile average by May), which I'm pretty psyched about as well. I'm going to adjust the longer range goals on time, but will stick with this at least until the end of July.
3) Join work run team and run 50% of the scheduled races. (Added this one in March)
4) Run/Walk, just COMPLETE the race come January. (This one will change a bit as I know now that I can run the distance, so it'll be updated to a time goal for January)
5) Have Fun! Never in a million years would I have correlated running with fun…..yet, I do, and it is!


Second half of the year goals will be posted on the blog for everyones review pretty soon. Still being a newbie at running, I'm going to be fairly conservative even though I feel like I met or exceeded most of the goals I had set. Hasn't always been easy and we can all atest to! Bumps, bruises, aches and pains along the way….but we've all kept on truckin' and THAT'S the most important part.


I'm going to take the "fast start" in stride as I'm sure the large gains in productivity will begin to level out fairly soon. Feels good to have made it over that initial hump and still feel 100% committed to my long term goal. Thanks to everyone on Team Voice (and some that are not as well) for being so supportive of my goals. Believe it or not, you've ALL made a difference in how much and how hard I've trained. Also, you've been there for all of the crazy questions…nutty blogs….etc. It's been great to watch everyones progress and will make it that much more special to cheer y'all on come January.

Just heard about George Carlin's passing, and it reminded me of the "bad words" sketch :-) What a classic comedian who I'm sure will be missed, but will live on in his numerous works. Of course, my favorite being Rufus from Bill and Ted's Excellent adventure. Just remember "Be excellent to each other".

4 comments:

Rae! said...

That is so awesome!!!
My goal was to finish the Minnie 15k and I did and didn't get sick.
Still working on the weight loss, and and i can do 5 push ups!! That wasn't a goal,but hey I am so proud of myself. And I have added in running. I didn't plan on that either but it is coming.Not easy.
And I have an awesome trainer from the Biggest Looser. I sure didn't add that in. But I am glad I have her now.
And I have made so many online friends, I hope to keep for well after the Half. And I still want to finish the Half 09', and keep my time close to 3 hours!!!
And I want to be at least 30 pounds lighter by October!!! And a possible Half in Nov.

Chris said...

Awesome Rae! You've been kickin' some serious butt for sure!

Rae! said...

Thanks!! so have you!!!

MikeF. said...

That's exactly how I looked at the Buffalo Half Marathon.