Wednesday, May 6, 2009

79.75 to go...

With 20.25 miles under the belt in the first 5 days of this challenge I’m feeling pretty darn good. J Considering that the mileage in previous months have been lacking (40’s-60’s range) this challenge is really what I needed. Time to grovel to Mike I guess…..Sorry Mike….didn’t mean to pick on your challenge…*head down* The key to this month and hitting the target is going to be the “long run”. I’m planning on getting one “long” run in every week. Hoping to add distance to them each time as well; even if it’s just a half mile.

Spent 1500 bucks yesterday on a pile of stone……finally building that retaining wall in the extension to my patio area. Sweet retaining wall blocks, but they better be at that price… So, the trench is dug now I just need to wait for the rain to stop. My daughter asked when it would be ready so she could toast marshmallows. Huh? Soooo, a while back I explained to her why I was building a wall out back. The wall first, then the patio extension, then the fireplace so we could toast, you guessed it, marshmallows. That was like two years ago, that kid has a memory on her. I’ll take some pictures before/after and will perhaps post them…depends on how the wall turns out…. ;-)

How’s everyone else doing with the challenge this month?

Update - Just read about Disney's earnings report for last year. Sounds like ESPN (revenue up 4%) helped bolster the 46% disapointment overall. Honestly, in this market I'd say they did a genius job keeping their brand/image alive for the long haul. Sure they discounted prices and cut into profit, but in Orlando they still ended up at 89% occupancy (up from last year). What does that do when they aren't making as much money on it (spending per room down 17%)? Brand loyalty. They still provided a top notch product for less money and will most likely get people to come back cause of it. They also did a great job, in my opinion, cross advertising through the use of their other segments. Wondering how the deal with NBC/Hulu is going to go....I'm still not sold on this segment, but could just be old school and not in touch with the youtube times.... I wish I sold that Staples stock a couple of weeks back when it was 2 bucks higher than Dis stock...Now Dis stock in near 23 and my Staples is hanging in the 20-21 range....Oh well... It's all good, both are solid companies.

3 comments:

Rae! said...

Hey awesome mileage. And you sound busy. I love the mind of a child. :)

Justin said...

What's with being nice to Mike all the sudden? It's not like his challenge got any easier!

Amanda said...

You're well on your way to 100 miles. That's awesome!

It sounds like your patio extension is going to be really nice. That means you'll be roasting lots of marshmallows :)!