Tuesday, September 8, 2009

26.2

Not sure why I was waiting, but I finally registered for the Full Hartford Marathon on Oct. 10th. I knew it wasn't going to fill up to capacity (3500 for the full, 3500 for the half), but my neighbor just missed out on registering for a triathalon that she'd been training months for....so I thought I'd get off my rear end and make sure I'm in for this.

Weird how I actually feel different now that I'm registered. Must be the financial commitment (90 bucks in this case) that makes the brain go "holy cats....I've actually got to do this now".

I've read some articles on Active today about Marathon prep and such. They talk about winding down the the miles one month out. Much quicker than anything else I've seen. Interesting. I'm still planning on a 20 mile training run by 9/19 at the latest, so I think that should give me enough time to recoup for the race on 10/10. The article said it takes 4 weeks to get over a training run like that. Again, interesting... I'm going to use the iPod for this race even though they recommend that you don't (noticed they changed their language from last years race, from prohibited to recommend against it). I'll try not to use it for the most part and keep the volume down when I do use it. I have never had an issue with other runners as I'm pretty aware of my surroundings when I run. God bless those runners that can do without, and I hope to do another in the future without, but we'll see.

Back to the MBA program next Monday night. At least it's one step closer to finishing next June. International business is the next class, and should prove interesting given the times we're in economically. Of course, my training will take a hit as it's now a day that I won't be able to sneak in a run.

3 comments:

Justin said...

I totally understand delaying the registration for the full marathon. I still need to register for the Des Moines Marathon. I should probably do that tonight, now that I think about it.

Okay, now that I've broken the 2 hour barrier I need to set my new half marathon speed goal. Looks like you are now in my sights.

Another 2 1/2 minutes faster to knock you out. Then whose next? (Just kidding?)

Matt said...

I may just start doing the full marathon training with you. I'm seriously considering doing the WDW Full in 2011, so now is as good of a time to train as any.

Amanda said...

Congrats on registering. Step one done, now on to the training :)!