Monday, September 21, 2009

Testing 1,2,3...

First, thanks for all that commented on my last post. I was a little down after missing the mileage mark, but felt good to hear the encouragement. :-)

Just a quick reply so we're on the same page. I think I left the impression that I was going all out on that run and worried about my time and such. Although the time was actually decent, on second glance, I was just trying to find a comfortable zone for the long haul. I think what did me in where the knee is concerned was the hills. I decided to double loop an area that is up then down, up then down...not really condusive to long distance running I guess. The tough part is getting 20 miles of anything that is flat where I live (short of circling a track for 20 miles...which I might do next time....holy repetitious Batman!). After seeing a short video of the Hartford marathon course (http://www.hartfordmarathon.com/marathonnew.htm#Video) mostly flat...phew.

Anyhoo, my knee appears to be okay. Tested it last night on a 4.37 miler (with some hills, of course) and it appeared to be okay, a little pressure but it's still recovering so no worries. I've been dealing with shin splints in my right leg for a while now, but it doesn't really impact my running, just tight for the first couple of miles and it loosens up. Mostly due to the mileage I've been putting in. I'll give it a rest post marathon and pre-gear up for Disney.

My wife has shown interest in joining us team voicers, what do ya think? Should we let her in? ;-) I tell ya, if anyone has had ANY problems running, she's a great resource as she's been through it all in the past year. She started training when I did last year, but always had the 2010 half-marathon as a goal (I just got antsy and had to do 2009). She's battled knee problems, plantar facitis problems...physical therapy, cortizone injections....major blisters, etc. All to complete this darn thing in January. Going to be a great weekend for sure.

Side note- Disney's Earth Blu-Ray was great. Video was amazing, music was also great. The only wish I had would be for more footage. It only ran 1hr 30min, so by the time you got into it, it was over. Definitely one to add to the collection though as it even kept the kids interested for a while.

3 comments:

MikeF. said...

20 miles on a track. I would be so bored after 3 laps. UGH. Glad to hear the knee is feeling better. And why can't your wife join team voice. We welcome everyone.

Through out that whole Bills game I kept saying to myself. OK they are up by 16, but that means nothing. T.O. opens his big mouth last week about Trent Edwards not seeing the field well enough and then drops a wide open pass down the sideline that would have gone for 6. But they did the same play in the 4th and this time T.O. caught it for 6. Kolb put up some big numbers against the Saints. It's hard for a team to win though when you throw 3 picks. I am scared about next weeks Bills game against the Saints. At least it is a home game for the Bills. But Brees is just going to eat them a live.

Matt said...

I do all of my runs either on a track or on the same course around campus... mostly because I don't like change (hence my political beliefs, haha)... so I'm a little biased when it comes to tracks.

Also, if y'all will let me into TV then anyone is welcome!

Mike- Why are you scared of the Aints? Are they actually doing good for once?

Amanda said...

You're doing great and I know what you mean about boredom. I'm not big on treadmill or track running.

Glad you're feeling better about things and tell your wife to join up and hang in there!