Tuesday, May 20, 2008

How to support someone you don't "know" 101


Some great blog activity as of late has got me thinking... OUCH, it hurts, make it stop!!! Whew, that was rough. Anyhoo, Jonathan sounds little frustrated and I think I know partly the reason why.. He pours his personal life onto a blog page about a very sensitive subject (for anyone) and is a target for both positive and negative feedback. While it's nice to receive those "at'a boy's", it can be both beneficial and crushing to see critisism. It's like c'mon people! I'm working hard here and making myself accountable! Now, I think he gets the fact that the critisism is coming from big fans of his and his program. Also, that everyone who comments probably feels a little bit of resonsibility to help push him along when he posts neutral or negative results. However, it can really hurt and sometimes get you down, even if it was coming from a close friend or family member. What we've got here though is a forum where we all "know" each other, but not really. We're bound by a black and white mouse (hmmmm...there's one for the books), not rooted in long term friendship based on experiences (realize that this is not true for some of you). So yea, my guess is that it stings a little bit when you feel it's coming from someone who doesn't "know" you. Like, man, why are you burning me for a day or a week of not hitting my target when the overall body of work is outstanding! Hey, I get it! Makes complete sense to me and he's got a right to think that way given his track record.

I'm glad he brough this up on his blog cause I think we all can get a little caught up in our on-line community at times and just need to have a little perspective when posting for each other. Not saying that we shouldn't be critical, but just being careful that we're not critical like "Mom, this casserole sucks!"..... LOL! Of course MOM knows you love her and will take it with a grain of salt. So here's to moving forward not only in our training, but our T.V. relationship building as well. I'm sure we'll grow alot more over the year, and take giant leaps when getting together for races and meets. Keep up the outstanding work Jonathan, can't wait to see you all fired up at that start line come January!

Oh, and you guys can tell me I suck or to shut up whenever you want! :-) I'm still in disbelief that I can actually run more than a mile to tell you the truth...running pure competitive nature at this point...or so people tell me...I was once called "A competitive bastard" while playing pool after a Sox game last year...Of course I did ask if that was a good thing or not...he said it was...whew!

So what was I talking about? It's all a blur...gotta love bloggin'... Some comments: Love the Snowy Tundra blog! Why the heck didn't I have it on my blog link list? Keep up the good work Cab-fan!; May take a second day off from running as I still have this chest congestion..ugh!; I've printed a poster and hung it in my office, and it reads "Mike-Speed" LOL and yes, government IS too large...in general...; No, this blog has abso-oot-ee NO redeeming value whatsoever!; Tough weekend for eating, thinking about pulling out my dreaded WW tracking sheets again....but we'll see if I can get control and stay at my "maintenance"; Pool project being moved up to start this Friday, can't wait to have a giant hole in the backyard....Will DEFINITELY post the pictures as it happens though. You can share in my pain/joy...hopefully more of the later...

6 comments:

Jeff W said...

Well put, very well put.

I like the Snowy Tundry. It sounds like Cinderelly...

Thanks for the shout out.

Heath said...

I support you Chris...now shut up and run!! Just kidding. Good post!! Now, please tell me you watched the Sox last night? Holly smokes!!

Chris said...

You guys crack me up :-) Sorry about the spelling my Tundra-training friend.

Lestah was frick'n awesome! Kept the little guy up past his bedtime to watch him go the distance.

Anonymous said...

Chris - GREAT post. I appreciate the solidarity!

What a day - between here and the Snowy Tundry. :)

MAIN STREET AWAITS!

Rae! said...

You hit the nail on the head.

And some of us DO know each other, but not a daily face to face.
I have been here since the beginning of all of this. I can be very out spoken. I know this.{this is who i am} I can take it back as well. And I do ask for it.
If I have offended you in anyway I am apologizing.

DebWDW said...

It is tricky. How do we know when to "gently push" a Team Member into stepping it up, versus being supportive and understanding?

We're all at different levels, so each person's accomplishments vary greatly. But ultimately, when we all show up in January, we will each have to be okay with our training efforts -- and hopefully be proud of the journey!